Botox & Fillers!
Dr. Peterson is proud and excited to offer Botox® and dermal fillers for the comfort and well-being of our patients! He and his experienced staff are happy to help you assess these wonderful options to help you look and feel your best.
Why HD Faces?
The Oregon State Dental Board permits dentists to use facial injectables on patients if they’ve been trained through an accredited program and meet rigorous education requirements. Dentists have extensive training on oral and facial anatomy, health, and function, as well as in depth working knowledge of the anatomy and muscle structure of the face. Because of this expertise, dentists with proper training are ideally positioned to offer facial injectable treatments with precision and optimal outcomes. In fact, a dentist should be your first choice when you are considering Botox or dermal fillers because:
- Dentists have more facial anatomy training than most other medical professionals and significantly more training than day spa estheticians.
- Dentists are specially trained to focus on symmetry and cosmetic/aesthetic results with keen attention to detail.
- Dentists can diagnose and treat bruxism, teeth clenching, and facial pain issues with therapeutic injectables.
- Dentists are experts at administering virtually painless oral and facial injections.
Botox® and Dermal Fillers at a Glance
Botox® is a naturally purified neurotoxin protein made from bacterium clostridium botulinum. Botox® has both aesthetic and therapeutic applications by injecting it into the skin at specific areas to temporarily relax underlying muscles by blocking signals from the nerves to the muscles.
Dermal fillers are injectables that fill facial lines or areas with volume loss with a substance, rather than acting on the underlying muscle. Juvederm is a colorless hyaluronic acid gel. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring sugar found in the body that holds many times its volume in water that works by expanding in your skin much in the way a sponge increases size when containing water.
Treatment with Botox® can help patients with a variety of dental issues. Therapeutically, Botox® can help with:
- Chronic teeth grinding or clenching
- Dental related facial pain
- Retraining of facial muscles in orthodontic cases
- Excessive gingival display
Treatment with Botox® and dermal fillers can enhance the outcome of dental treatments in a number of ways, including:
- Improving fine lines around the mouth and facially
- Lessening deep lines that may appear between the nose and mouth (nasolabial folds) or the mouth and chin (‘marionette’ lines)
- Enhancing the shape and/or volume of the lips
- Improving downturned oral commissures (corners of the mouth)
- Mitigating chin volume loss and/or dimpling
Botox® is injected through a series of injections into the muscle with a tiny syringe. The number of injections required is dependent upon the area treated. It is quick (the actual treatment takes about 10 minutes) and minimally invasive and delivers results with virtually no downtime. Most patients report that the injections feel like a quick pinch and a topical numbing cream can help with more sensitive areas.
Botox® and dermal fillers are technique-sensitive treatments. You should not lose the ability to show expression when you are treated by someone who is licensed, trained, and a medical expert in facial anatomy. It is important to talk to your provider about the results you want from treatment.
The effects of Botox® are evident within about five days, with full effect at about two weeks. Follow up appointments are recommended at two weeks for post-treatment photographs and touch ups, if needed. The length of time before Botox® has to be readministered varies from individual to individual, but averages between three and four months.
Dermal filler results are instant and generally last six months to a year.
Your HD Face is around the corner!
Give us a call to schedule an appointment to see how we can transform your skin using Botox Cosmetic.